The Sonderborg area is among the world's frontrunners with CO2 reduction, and through the work in ProjectZero, CO2 emissions in Sonderborg Municipality have been reduced by 51.7 per cent. since 2007. To hit the CO2 zero in 2029, ProjectZero has prepared Masterplan2029, which describes how this should happen.
Streamlining through an integrated energy system
The City Council of Sonderborg Municipality has just approved the master plan with associated action plans, and Mayor Erik Lauritzen is pleased.
- The master plan shows that it requires many, different solutions to reach the goal. The overall answer is integrated energy systems, where different energy sources and sectors are interconnected in a flexible circuit that works together. This means that we must continue to work with energy efficiency and electrification in homes and businesses through renovations, conversion to district heating and heat pumps. In addition, we must create green transport through more electric cars as well as green projects in the transport sector. There is also a need to invest in biogas, wind farm, Power-to-X and district heating, and then we must become even better at using surplus heat from productions for district heating. Just to name a few of the most important focus areas, says Erik Lauritzen in connection with the City Council's approval of Masterplan2029.
Focus on four main efforts
The action plan has four main initiatives:
- Energy efficiency and electrification in homes and businesses - renovations, conversion to district heating and heat pumps as well as electrification of low and medium heat.
- Green transport and conversion to electric cars - increased use of green mode of transport, increasing share of electric cars in new car sales.
- Construction investments in biogas, wind farm, Power-to-X (PtX) and district heating - energy projects that are interdependent and therefore require strong integration and coordinated efforts.
- Sector coupling - Unique and fully integrated energy system via optimal use of:
- Excess heat from production processes that are connected to district heating and can be used for space and water heating.
- PtX, where hydrogen together with CO2 can be converted into green fuel through the use of electricity and biomass
Cooperation is a prerequisite for achieving the goal in 2029
The master plan focuses on ensuring the most cost-effective way to zero, and this is done through the specific action plans that have been prepared for the “hotspot” focus areas.
- ProjectZero's Masterplan2029 has been prepared with the involvement of more than 70 local experts and stakeholders, and on behalf of the City Council I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to the master plan over the past year. Their input, knowledge and competencies are crucial to achieving the result. It will be difficult and we all have to lift in droves to get to the finish line. But our focus on local cooperation on development and implementation of the green solutions has meant that we are several steps ahead of others, and that is why the interest in Sonderborg's climate and energy work is great, says Mayor Erik Lauritzen.
Green power and biogas are prerequisites for being able to produce Power-to-X
It appears from Masterplan2029 that the establishment of Lillebælt Syd Wind Farm and access to green electricity without taxes from the electricity grid is a key prerequisite for realizing the goal of CO2 neutrality in 2029. The electricity from the wind farm and biogas is crucial to be able to work further with the solutions before for PtX and sector switching.
Masterplan2029 is concretized through specific action plans. The action plans for the 12 hotspots have been prepared with the involvement of experts and local actors. Three new hotspots have been defined, and action plans for these will be drawn up at the beginning of 2022.
The IEA will hold a summit in Sonderborg in June 2022
The high ambitions and drive are the reason why the International Energy Agency is holding their big annual conference in Sonderborg in June 2022. This is the second time it is located outside Paris, and the conference will mean visits by over 400 politicians and officials from 50 countries, where everyone must look at Sonderborg's energy toolbox for the benefit of the climate.